Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Cut the boy some slack!



OK, another look into the e-mail inbox. Man, that seems to be all this blog is about lately. Alright, I promise, this is the last one for a while. And, in this one I was VERY nice, because I know when to use the honey to catch the bees.

Ms. Teacher,

Hi!

I have a concern about Andrew today.

He says that he is positive that he put his homework folder in the appropriate place. He says that when you looked it wasn't there. He says that he had break detention because of it. He is worried that he will continue to have break detention, and not get homework passes because now he doesn't know where the folder is.

I know that he is trying extremely hard, and was so excited to get a homework pass last week.

Background info:

Andrew has cancer, and has no vision in one eye and limited vision in the other. He has had radiation treatments, which have affected his cognition. We are waiting for his first IEP meeting, have already spoken to a counselor, and understand that they will schedule it as soon as they can.

I only bring this up because is there any way that he could have placed the homework folder close to the box and not actually in the box due to his vision problems?

I looked through his bookbag and it is not there. I am more than willing to help him look through his locker, but I am hoping to avoid having to come to the school to help him find it, as this would be embarrassing for him.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions, as I am not sure what to do to help him.



Thanks so much,

Heidi Underhill McQueen


And the e-mail I received:

Ms. Underhill,

Andrew's folder was found. It was placed into the wrong class's homework tray. Since it was not signed, I gave it to the student in that class who has the same class number as Andrew. During planning yesterday, I checked into what happened to Andrew's folder. The other student returned it to me this morning and I then gave it to Andrew and explained what happened. Hopefully he will remember to bring it home tonight and you can sign it.

Thanks for your understanding and have a good day.

Ms. Teacher


I completely understand that we haven't had an IEP meeting yet. But we TOLD Ms. Teacher that Andrew had cancer and vision problems. When he told her that he turned it in during class that day, and she couldn't find it, could she not just take a little peek into the tray right next to the "correct" tray? It would have been on top of the pile. Did she HAVE to give him detention for placing it the wrong tray? OK, I understand it was his fault, but he has been trying SO hard. And now he has a DETENTION on the record. blah! Cut the boy some slack!!!

No comments: